We respect your privacy.
Document Number: VI 20. Version: 2.0. Date of Issue: January 2022.
Variety – the Children’s Charity (Variety) and each Variety – the Children’s Charity (Variety) Office respects your right to privacy. This policy covers how Variety – the Children’s Charity and the Variety Offices (collectively we, us, our) collect and treat your personal information.
Personal information is defined as information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether the information or opinion is true or not, and whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
Variety Office means each Variety office operating as an incorporated association or company in any country/state/province or territory and licensed to use the Variety name, trade-marks and other intellectual property.
Personal information collected by Variety:
Variety may collect the following types of personal information from you:
- full name, date of birth, address, company name, job title, email address, phone number, fax number
- health information about a child who is receiving services from a Variety Chapter or Association
- health information about an event participant or volunteer (medical forms)
- Police checks and working with children checks (where available) for potential volunteers
- information about donations you have made to us
- information about the goods or services you have received
- credit card information
- details of income and living circumstances to means test grant applicants
- details of funding applications
- referee details
- next of kin details
- allergies and dietary requirements
- bequest confirmation information
How we collect your personal information:
Variety collects, stores and uses personal information from you in various ways including, when you interact with us electronically or in person, when you access our website, when you enroll to a Variety event, when you request assistance from Variety and at other times.
If you do not provide us with the information we request, we may not be able to fulfil the applicable purpose of collection, such as to process a request for assistance, add you to an event or to process your donation. However, you may choose to contact Variety to discuss the matter further.
Where practicable, we will collect personal information directly from you. If we receive information about you from someone else, we will take reasonable steps to ensure you are aware that we have collected personal information about you and the circumstances of the collection.
Use and disclosure of your personal information:
Where you provide us with personal information relating to other individuals, you must obtain the consent of those individuals before doing so.
Our main purposes for collecting, holding, using and disclosing personal information are the following:
- to provide goods or services to you and your child/child in your care
- to solicit, accept and process donations from you
- to obtain products or services for you from our suppliers
- to respond to enquiries from you and to send you information about what we do
- to process and assess employment applications
- to fulfil our medical duty of care when conducting motoring events
- to assess your suitability as a volunteer or event participant,
- to undertake research and surveys and analyse statistical information
We do not provide your information to third parties, except as follows:
- as authorised or required by law
- to universities or other research bodies for research purposes but only in a de-identified format
- to our affiliate Variety Offices
- to our business partners and service providers who assist us in the provision of the products and services we provide to you
- including for example email service providers
- to the relevant hospital for emergency contact purposes
- where the assets and operations of our business are transferred to another party as a going concern, or
- you have provided your consent
To conduct our business, we may transfer personal information to our affiliates or service providers in other countries. The privacy laws of those countries may not provide the same level of protection as the privacy laws of the country from which the personal information was collected. However, this does not change our commitments to safeguard your privacy and we will comply with all applicable laws relating to the cross-border data disclosure.
Recording and Photography:
We may collect and process photographs and/or moving film images in connection with volunteer engagements, our fundraising activities and other events. We will comply with all local regulations relating to publication of children’s photographs and images.
Variety may from time to time send you marketing materials. We only do so in accordance with applicable laws or with your prior consent. If you are receiving promotional information from us and do not wish to receive this information any longer, please contact us asking to be removed from our mailing lists, or use the unsubscribe facilities included in our marketing communications.
Security of your personal information:
We take all reasonable steps to keep your personal information accurate, up to date and complete, and to protect it from misuse, interference and loss or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Access to your personal information:
You may access and update your personal information by contacting us. We may charge a reasonable administration fee for this access. We will need to prove your identity before we release any personal information to you.
If at any time you wish to change personal information that we hold about you because it is inaccurate or out of date, please contact us and we will amend your record. If you wish to have your personal information deleted, please let us know in the same manner as referred to above and we will take all reasonable steps to delete it unless we need to keep it for legal reasons.
When you come on to our website we may collect certain information such as browser type, operating system, website visited immediately before coming to our site. This information is used in an aggregated manner to analyse how people use our site, such that we can improve our service.
For instructions on how to stop cookies being installed on your browser, please see http://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies.
Third party sites:
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Complaints Policy, please contact Variety International:
P: +1 323 934 4688 F: +1 323 658 8789
A: 4601 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 260, Los Angeles, CA, 90010 USA